The Good Carbs Cook Book
Dr Alan Barclay, Kate McGhie, Philippa Sandall
100+ simple, delicious and satisfying recipes to keep you feeling fuller for longer.
Good carbs are essential. They supply the feel-good, taste-good fuel to keep you strong, boost your energy and help you stay healthy.
The Good Carbs Cookbook helps you choose the best fruits, vegetables, beans, peas, lentils, seeds, nuts and grains and explains how to use them in 100 refreshingly nourishing recipes to enjoy every day, for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner and dessert. The recipes have short ingredients lists, are easy to prepare, quick to cook, long in flavour and full of sustaining goodness, so you feel fuller for longer. There is a nutritional analysis for each recipe and there are tips and helpful hints for the novice, nervous, curious or time-starved cook.
This book celebrates the notion “Eat foods made from ingredients you can picture in their raw state or growing in nature.”(p.9 Michael Pollan) and if you adopt this principle you cannot go wrong as Dr Alan Barclay, Kate McGhie and Philippa Sandall demonstrate.
This book is full of useful advice, tips on cooking, storing, nutritional information on the featured ingredients and its “hero” recipes. In the introduction Barclay et al list 10 Things they “Love About Good Wholesome Carb Foods” – let me share that information with you:
- We love the way they power the brain.
- We love the way they fuel the body.
- We love the energy they give.
- We love the good stuff (vitamins and minerals) that comes with them.
- We love their keep-it-regular fibre habit.
- We love preparing meals for family and friends with them.
- We love traditional foods they put on a plate.
- We love the variety and pleasure they bring to the table.
- We love the way they feed the world.
- We love their lighter footprint on the planet.
I heartily agree with all of the points mentioned above. This book ticks all my home cooking needs and more (particularly points 6 and 8). I can’t wait to try out some of the recipes here and to share some of the recipes with you. This book is a keeper.